There are more than 25,000 students at Oxford
Facts and figures
Did you know?
- Oxford was ranked first in the world in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings for 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- There are more than 25,000 students at Oxford, including 12,510 undergraduates and 13,044 postgraduates.
- Entry to undergraduate courses at Oxford continues to be very competitive: there are usually only around 3,300 places, and over 24,000 people applied to start in 2021.
- The majority of Oxford’s UK undergraduates come from state schools. Over 68% of UK students admitted in 2021 were from the state sector.
- Oxford offers more than 350 postgraduate programmes.
- For 2020/21 entry, over 34,500 applications were received for some 6,675 postgraduate places.
- International students make up almost 45% of our total student body - around 11,500 students. Students come to Oxford from more than 160 countries and territories.
- According to the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, the official UK-wide assessment of all university research, Oxford has the largest volume of world-leading research in the UK.
- The University of Oxford contributes around £15.7 billion to the UK economy, and supports more than 28,000 full time jobs (2018/19). Find out more here.